.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

When I read the below posting, tears filled my eyes. Heartfelt encouragement these days is like warm chocolate chip cookies and a glass of cool milk to my soul. On a particularly rough day, it works like an oxygen mask!

I never thought my husband would go to war. I never thought he'd see violence. I never thought I'd stand by him as he tries to process the deaths of fellow soldiers. I never thought I'd face widows and mothers at wakes who are complete strangers but mean so very much to me. I never fully realized that the path to freedom is paved with many, many graves. Graves that hold the bodies of fathers, sons, wives and men who aren't even old enough to legally be trusted to drink beer (not that I'm for lowering the drinking age...just puts their age in perspective).

My husband's batallion has had three deaths since setting foot in Iraq in March. Last week a 19 year-old soldier, Kyle Miller, sacrificed his life for our country's call. The story, when it first broke in the news, ran at the bottom of the local section. Today, a small headline for a follow-up story ran under an article covering the GI alleged rapes. Having professional journalism experience, I can tell you that the placement of these stories greatly unsettles me. I can appreciate the fact that newspapers are consumer driven; but I also wish they would take a stand in our communities to give these men (and women) the honor they deserve when they die for us. It might not seem like a big deal to you today. But when a soldier dies, I stand firm to the belief that everything tied to that soldier's name should appear with the utmost dignity and honor.

I applaud Jules, Lauren, GiBee, and Susie for their contributions, time, and effort on this blog site. They will never know the full significance of what they are doing. As a military wife, I've become painfully aware of how deeply these deaths mark our families, communities, and the lives of the other soldiers serving with the memorialized.

If you never live with the fear of seeing a government car pull up to your front curb, consider yourself very blessed. Likewise, as we live with people who are willing to help us carry the memorial torch for our loved ones, we are very blessed as well.

In His Love,
Emily, Proud wife of SSG Daniel Bari, 134 BSB Charlie Company, MN Army National Guard soldier serving in Iraq

14 Comments:

Blogger proud fan said...

This site is a great idea - I was actually directed here by Emily. She is an inspiration to many. God bless our men and women in uniform!

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somebody's baby boy, someone's dad, someone's little brother.

I sit and think of you in awe.

And I whisper a prayer of thanks.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am here via Lauren's blog.
I want to thank all the men and women who serve their country in war zones, not just Iraq, but where ever they serve this country.
Thank you to Emily's husband to put his life on the line and to Emily who supports her husband to clothe him in prayer.
Have a blessed 4th of July.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am here via Lauren's blog.
I want to thank all the men and women who serve their country in war zones, not just Iraq, but where ever they serve this country.
Thank you to Emily's husband to put his life on the line and to Emily who supports her husband to clothe him in prayer.
Have a blessed 4th of July.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Call Me Grandma said...

Always count your blessings.
Very nice blog and tribute.

6:35 AM  
Blogger owlhaven said...

I posted a tribute Tech. Sgt. Walter M. Moss Jr., 37, of Houston, Texas

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to find a site like this! For some crazy reason, I am not able to e-mail you through the link on the home page. I would, however, love to link to your page in my blog, too. If this OK, please let me know. nora_k_long@comcast.net

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My tribute was posted today, July 23rd, 2006.
http://www.eph2810.com/?p=269

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry - I had to delete the post - lost my entire sidebar - I'll get back to you as soon as I fixed my blog...

I am so sorry...

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay - I fixed everything and the tribute is now posted here:
http://www.eph2810.com/?p=271
Again I am sorry for any inconvenience I have cause today.

Living in His grace,
Iris aka Eph2810

6:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am here via Rocks In My Dryer Blog. This is a great idea and I will be supporting you!!

Thank you for doing this!

6:18 AM  
Blogger True_Floridian Momma said...

Hi,
I'm not sure how I got here, but am a military brat (dad/Air Force) and have many loved ones still in different branches. I would love to pay tribute but am unable to open your email address.
you can visit my blog spot at: www.wideopenocean.blogspot.com
look forward to hearing from you soon

5:20 AM  
Blogger fridaynightgirl said...

I am speechless. The same depth of feeling that passes over me when I watch the flag raised in the morning - that tight feeling in my chest that defies speech - fills me as I read the names on the lists.

Trying to imagine the breathless waiting that happens in the home of every military family, the sorrow that must grip at the constant empty place at the table or on the other side of the bed...

Thank you for this site. I would like to link to your site, if it would be acceptable to you. My email is fri_night_girl@yahoo.com.

Thank you again.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love you, Emily.
Thank you for this posting. You are truly an inspiration to all of us.
God Bless all the men and women fighting for our country, for me and for you.
I got this url today and hope that you will visit it and send a message to a soldier! Who knows, it could be one of your brothers, sons, or husbands that gets it!

www.letssaythanks.com

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home